Here are some movies that I think deserved a little more credit than they got. And this is not necessarily for their quality of movie, but mostly for their entertainment value. They are not listed in any particular order.
1. Waterworld. The most expensive movie ever made at the time (1995), it was infamously a flop in the US box offices, and was also nominated for worst movie, worst actor, and worst director (Razzie awards). Pish posh, I Say.
Pros: “It’s Paper! Have you ever seen paper? Look at it.” Also, Kevin Costner has gills.
Cons: They came up with what is possibly the lamest name for bad guys: “smokers.” Even something as simple as “Pirates” would have been better.
2. The Fifth Element. This was probably some of the best acting we have and ever will see from Chris Tucker.
Pros: The Supreme Being took karate lessons from Jackie Chan via internet.
Cons: This movie has no flaws. My only beef with it is that the makeup applier does not exist in real life. What a tease.
3. The Saint. Val Kilmer is a master of disguise.
Pros: This movie has Val Kilmer in it.
Cons: He disguises himself as one of those super sleazy 80s artists that are the love interests of 80s female movie roles. That was a bad character then and it is still a bad character now.
4. The Prince of Egypt. Although it did well, I just don’t think it got enough credit because even though DreamWorks made this movie, it is everything the old animated Disney movies used to be.
Pros: Good music that hasn’t been found since The Lion King. Val Kilmer is also in this movie.
Cons: Aaron is voiced by Jeff Goldblum. And while he does do a good job, I just can’t hear his voice without thinking of Jurassic Park II, which just doesn’t seem to do justice for the brother of Israel’s liberator. But then again, if you look at the story of Moses (post-movie-plotline of course) Jeff/Aaron does screw over the chosen people via golden calf. There we go, that’s the Jeff Goldblum I remember.
5. The Lost World: Jurassic Park. The previous comment made me remember how painfully brilliant this movie was.
Pros: “Stay out of the tall grass!”
Cons: Dr. Malcolm’s daughter stows away, after which we hate her for annoying us the rest of the movie.
6. The Game. I hope I never have to play this game.
Pros: You never know what’s coming.
Cons: You never know what’s coming.
7. Paint Your Wagon. Quite possibly the funniest movie ever made. I mean, it’s a western musical comedy staring Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood - and it just gets better from there.
Pros: There are just so many, ranging from Clint Eastwood singing to Lee Marvin notoriously getting into character while filming. Note* for those of you who haven’t seen this movie, Marvin plays a drunkard. Also, this movie is referenced in a Simpson’s episode.
Cons: Probably that is does not quite make fun of Mormons enough.Next up: list of 7 overrated movies.
No comments:
Post a Comment