I finally made it into capital during the day. Victory! I took a bus to San Telmo, a neighborhood that hosts a “fería” on Sundays. It’s kind of like a flea market or a smaller version of El Rastro in Madrid. I picked up my own personal mate, a scarf, and some great boho earings. Such a buyer...
 |
| Hard at work making orange juice. |
There was also this cute little old couple selling freshly squeezed orange juice and I couldn’t pass that up. I managed to snap a photo of them at work.
The head girl from St. George’s, Mary, met up with me and showed me around a bit. Then she took me back to her home in Recoleta which is another neighborhood in Buenos Aires. I had tea with her family and they showed me some places I need to go visit while I’m here in Argentina. So much to do! After that, we caught a bus back to school with the other boarders from capital.
Cricket is a sport that I’m not very knowledgeable about because it’s not very big in the U.S. I think my previous experience with it didn’t go very far beyond a brief scene of it in
Bend It Like Beckham. But, being a British style school, it is very big here at St. George’s and I got the chance to watch a match. Never again. I’m kidding, it was fun, it’s just that the matches are a bit lengthy. I’ve heard that some games can even take as long as 5 days. Rugby is also popular here. I didn’t realize how big it was outside the UK since our sports sphere in the USA are dominated by football and basketball. There's even a rugby world cup.
 |
| St. George's cricket match. |
I’m trying to remember what else I forgot to update yall on since I was sick last week. Oh, apparently when you’re sick, there is a specific diet here that is a cure all for I dunno, umm, everything. They told me to eat cheese, meat (which means beef here), chicken, and apples, no potatoes! I followed it until I overheard them telling that to about 12 other people with completely different calamities. That was comforting. But I did discover that antibiotics are ridiculously cheap here. Plus, you don’t need a prescription. I think it cost me $4.50 for mine. Well done, Argentina! Too bad they made me throw up.
Had some awesome gnocci last night. It's tradition here to eat it on the 29th of ever month, although no one seems to know why. So I did the bus/subte/train combination up to San Isidro last night (quite a feat), and met up with Manu and his cousins for dinner. His cousin is a chef and made what might possibly be considered the best spinach gnocci in the world. I just wish it wasn't so difficult to get there and back during the workweek.
Still not used to the night life here. We usually hang out at someone’s place until 3:30am and THEN go to the discotecas. We leave those around 6/7am and head back to someone’s house to continue on until 10 or 11am. Because of this I am proud to say that I have now mastered what I like to call the night nap. I sometimes fall asleep between 12am and 1am and then have the boys wake me up before they leave. It’s very hard to get up at that point, but so far the night nap has proven successful. Well, only if you ignore all the crap I have to take from the guys for falling asleep and being lame. Now, it’s the mid-morning nap that's a toughie (8-10am nap). And as far as music goes here, they listen to pretty much the same stuff we do, plus lots of Reggaeton. Mmmm Reggateon...
 |
| Some early morning rockband. |
And lastly, I get made fun of a lot. So I guess not a whole lot has changed since I moved down here. They're more used to having people from the UK, South Africa, or Australia here, so my "American accent" is deemed horrendous…and apparently very fun to imitate...y'all. And also, everyone calls me a yankee. Of course I correct them because I'm more of a redneck (thank God?). Yankees are from New England. Like my mom. Nobody likes Yankees, sorry mom. Also, the Argentine people get pretty offended if someone from the USA says they’re American because Argentina is also part of the Americas. Fair enough. I try to cut us sillies some slack and tell them that while they can say they’re Argentine or Argentinean, we can’t really go around saying we’re United-States-of-American because it sounds absolutely ridiculous; so we shorten it to American. They don’t like that either. So I always try to avoid it and say I’m Texan or from The States. But Barrett made a fabulous point the other day: While Argies can claim to be from America, us staties are the only people from ‘Merica, the one and only. Born and raised.
Here are some more pictures from Argentina:
 |
| Plaza del Mayo |
 |
| La fería in San Telmo |
 |
| Scarves, or bufandas, at the fería. |
|
|
|
 |
| walking to the beach in Pinamar |
 |
| La playa |
And I’d like to give a quick SHOUT OUT TO JOE WELSCH! Again.
...do you want to buy me a scarf? I'll pay you back :)
ReplyDeleteooo what color?
ReplyDelete