So school finally finished on Friday and what better way to celebrate than getting the flu! Woo! Everyone is getting it too. I know at least 4 people besides me who had it this week and 4 other people who "weren't feeling well." Everyone's just spreading the love I guess.
But since it was the last day I mustered up some afternoon strength and went to say goodbye to the kids. They gave Jeff and me a mug each with the St. George's logo on it. And then lots of hugs and cheek kisses! Good thing that's allowed in this country otherwise I would have some very concerned parents to deal with. They kids were really cute though: "Miss, do you like it here? Why are you leaving?" I felt like such a traitor telling them I was going back to the States.
I also remembered that rumor I had forgotten like 4 posts ago. For some reason everyone at the school thinks I'm technologically gifted. I would just be walking through the hallway and someone would come up with a random question: "My computer's frozen. Can you fix it?" Umm I'll give it a look, I guess. And me, being so technologically savvy just held the power button till the computer turned off and then turned it back on. GENIUS! I guess I should be flattered, but I just don't quite get it. It might just be because I'm a little younger than them and they think I'm obligated to know something, but still, who started this rumor? I'm awful with computers, so it's good that most of the stuff was pretty basic. Here are some of my frequently asked questions:
"Do you know how to move the pictures from the camera to the computer?"
"Do you know how to put a power point onto a CD?"
"Can you make a folder appear on the main screen?"
"Why won't it let me save this?"
"How do you look at the power point from a different view?"
"How do you open this?"
It's like talking to my mom at home ;) I love you mom.
Anyway, I have approximately 20 days till I'm stepping on free soil. Hot, humid, sticky soil. In the meantime, Lauren Lynn get's here in 10 days so that will be fun. I would like to travel a bit, but we'll see. Jeff and Sam are going to Brazil which I can't go to because I don't have a visa. They require one for Americans because we require one for them. Fair enough. Can't get angry about that. It's just that on their government's website they seem very, very bitter about it. Here's a few snippets from their tourist visa page:
U.S. citizens traveling to Brazil are required to obtain a visa prior to entering Brazil. This requirement is in reciprocity to the U.S. government demand that all Brazilian citizens hold a visa in order to enter the United States. Citizens of countries that do not demand visas from Brazilian nationals usually do not need visas to enter Brazil.
5. U.S. citizens must pay a non-refundable $140.00 reciprocity fee (as of June 2010).
(This is because the U.S. government charges Brazilian citizens who apply for a U.S. visa a minimum of 2 mandatory fees).
Payment is done at the Consulate on the appointment day.
Cash, personal checks and credit cards are not accepted for the payment of the $140.00 reciprocity fee.
7. All consular fees must be paid in U. S. Postal Service money order made to the Consulate General of Brazil
Thanks for the shout-out Brazil. Also, I'm not sure if we make it extremely difficult for other countries to pay for their visas, but only accepting a U.S. Postal Service money order seems very picky. Very, very picky. Especially since the only way to obtain one is to go to a USPS office and hand them a wad of cash. Who still uses money orders anymore? Well, besides my dad. So pretty much, if you are currently not in the USA and you are not my dad, then you do not stand a chance of paying for your visa. I guess I'll just have to postpone visiting my friends until later. I will make it someday! I still love you Brazil!
I'll let you know if I figure out any travel plans soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment